Moving to Darmstadt
Darmstadt is located on the gently sloping plain between the Odenwald and Rhine River. It was a small village by the 14th century, but it became an important city in the 19th century due to its rapid industrialization.
Even though the city was heavily bombarded during World War II, many old structures remained untouched, and what was destroyed has been rebuilt. Nowadays, Darmstadt is an industrial centre, mainly focused on chemicals and machinery.
Your City Guide in Darmstadt
Our team can help your employees and their loved ones feel more comfortable moving to Germany through our orientation tours. These are available either in-person or online, so no one has to leave the comfort of their home! We will show transferees and their families where they’ll be living and answer any questions that come up.
Short or Long-Term Stays
With over 40 years of experience and expertise at moving people abroad with care and finding housing that matches every individual’s needs and budgets, Packimpex is the right company to help your employees. We never want our clients’ new home-away-from-home experiences to be anything less than perfect: comfortable, affordable, convenient – all while staying true to their desires!
Childcare and Education
Packimpex knows how important children’s education is. So, whether your transferees have children who need childcare services or are looking for a private school, Packimpex can do the research and present your employees and their families with all possible options to feel like they are making an informed decision regarding their children’s education.
Get Your Transferees Settled
Once your employees have finally arrived in Germany, they still have a long way to go. This is why our work doesn’t end once their plane lands. At Packimpex, we will help transferees with all of their paperwork needs so that they can start feeling at home right away – from getting a German phone number to finding the best service providers in the city.
Frequently Asked Questions
Darmstadt is known as the city of science, and it is the home to Darmstadt University, a prestigious research-oriented institution that has been educating students for over 140 years.
The city is also highly immersed in art, being the centre of the Art Nouveau movement in Germany.
Darmstadt is located near Frankfurt am Main in the state of Hesse, Germany. It is about 35 kilometres from Frankfurt, and you can quickly get there by train or car.
The city is also close to other smaller towns – when compared to Frankfurt – like Mainz, Wiesbaden and Mannheim.
The city has a population of around 150,000 people. Therefore, it is fairly small, and you can easily get to any part of the city with your car or bike. However, even though it is relatively small, there’s plenty of things for you to do there.
There are plenty of great neighbourhoods for people to live comfortably in the city. Here are some of the best in the city:
- Westend – this is the district in Darmstadt with the most vibrant street life. This is because it’s close to the centre of town and has many lovely shops, bars and cafes nearby.
- Oberforsthausen – here you’ll find some excellent schools, parks, sports facilities and local beer. This neighbourhood is a good option for families.
- Bessungen – this district is about 15 min from the city centre, but it’s a sweet place to live, especially if you’re an expat. There are nice cafes, shops and bars.
- Komponistenviertal – an excellent area for families or people looking for some peace and quiet. The neighbourhood is very green and has some great parks nearby.
- Heddernheim – this district is a bit further away from the city centre, but it’s another good option if you’re an expat or want to live in nature. It also has lots of nice cafes, shops and bars with local flavour.